- Writing experience
- Research experience
- National Service
- Work experience
- Co-curricular & volunteer activities
- Workshops, courses & other achievements
B.A. (Hons) Philosophy; minor in Life Science (Aug 2015 – Aug 2019 [expected])
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Diploma in Biomedical Science (Apr 2010 – Apr 2013)
Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore
Editorial intern (May – Jul 2017)
Asian Scientist Publishing Pte Ltd
Freelance writer (Aug – Dec 2016)
- Communicated healthcare news through online articles tailored to patients and healthcare professionals such as general practitioners, specialist doctors, pharmacists, and nurses.
- Wrote 5 to 7 curated articles (500 to 700 words each) per week to generate sufficient digital content for the regional team in Southeast Asia.
Intern (Jul – Aug 2015)
Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
- Employed quantitative PCR and immunostaining techniques to detect Epstein-Barr viral biomarkers in blood samples with nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells.
- Troubleshot cell counting and DNA quantification methods for post-PCR analysis to accurately quantify the copy number of viral DNA in blood samples.
Intern (Jun – Nov 2012)
Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
- Investigated the effect of metformin on colorectal cancer (CRC) based on common genetic alterations in CRC, using different means of cell growth and proliferation assays.
- Designed and conducted bioenergetic profile studies using mitochondrial stress assays to evaluate CRC’s sensitivity to metformin’s drug activity.
- Consulted colleagues and superiors for feedback and recommendations for experiments to produce meaningful scientific data.
- Initiated a side-project in attempt to establish an ex vivo CRC model, using patient tissue samples, for personalised medicine.
Lieutenant, Field Engineer Officer (Jun 2013 – Jun 2015)
4th Battalion, Singapore Infantry Regiment, Singapore Armed Forces
- As platoon commander: planned and conducted trainings for the soldiers of the Pioneer platoon to ensure their operational readiness by end of their National Service.
- As specialist staff officer: developed and coordinated engineer plans at the Battalion level (~500 soldiers) during major exercises and helped the unit achieve commendable performance for the Army Training Evaluation.
Store Assistant (Mar 2016 – Present)
General Store at School of Biological Sciences, NTU
- Ensuring smooth operations by providing the right type of item and quantity to the laboratory users and purchasers, and maintaining the store’s orderliness.
- Accounting for the store’s inventory for the store to pass the stock checks and audits.
Service staff (Apr – Jun 2013)
- Proactively served customers by pre-empting their wants and needs through friendly conversation to find out what foods or drinks they prefer and give recommendations.
- Contributed to team meetings by offering areas of improvement and suggestions to enhance customer service and boost revenue to hit daily sales targets.
CO-CURRICULAR & VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES
Sub-committee member (Apr 2010 – Apr 2013)
Temasek Polytechnic, Applied Science Studies Club
- Led a class of 18 freshmen as an Orientation Leader for the Week 0 Freshmen Orientation’s team-building activities.
- Collaborated with non-profit organisations in community events such as the Blood Donation Drive (2011) at Temasek Polytechnic and Health Mapping Exercise (2010) at residential estates.
Volunteer Sep 12 – 17, 2011
Juara Turtle Project (Tioman Island, Malaysia)
- Researched on information regarding the endangered sea turtle species and gave oral presentations to visitors at the sea turtle sanctuary.
- Conducted day-to-day tasks such as the night/morning beach patrols and monitoring the turtle eggs in the hatchery to safeguard eggs from poachers and natural predators.
- Planned, organised, and built an obstacle course within 3 days for visitors to gain awareness about sea turtle conservation.
WORKSHOPS, COURSES & OTHER ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Asian Scientist Writing Prize 2017
Co-organised by Science Centre Singapore and Asian Scientist Magazine
- Wrote a piece, titled Meet Your Microbes (less than 1,500 words) that received an honourable mention.
MOOC: Introduction to Bioethics (May – Jun 2014)
Kennedy Institute of Ethics, Georgetown University
- Understanding core philosophy concepts in bioethics and gaining historical literacy around important bioethical cases and developments.
- Developed a capacity for reflective and respectful engagement with others on polarising issues.
- Certificate of Accomplishment obtained; grade achieved: 82.0%.
Essay Competition 2011, on ‘Personalised Medicine: Hype or Hope’ (Sep 2011)
Singapore Society for Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Wrote an essay (less than 3,000 words) that argued for the benefits of personalised medicine.
- Learnt in the process: writing in a scholarly style, reading and summarising skills, writing critiques, and constructing arguments.
Future Filmmakers Workshop (Mar – Jun 2011)
Tisch School of the Arts Asia, New York University
- A 12-week workshop geared towards learning the fundamentals of storytelling, screenwriting and filmmaking.
- Directed and produced a short film (in crews of 3 people) and an observational documentary (independent work) as final assignments.
- Cell culture, cell viability assay, clonogenic assay, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and Western blotting.
- Scientific tools: PyMOL, IBM SPSS Statistics, ImageJ.
- Others: Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Final Draft.
- English, Chinese, and Japanese (basic).
- Python (basic).